1/13/2011

Relationship Resolution

Relationship ResolutionAs you know alot of people try making a new years resolution in January and try working at it right off the bat. Some make it work and reach their goal . Others get stuck and quit.
I am not a big New Years resolution kind of person but do like the chance to "start again" fresh and new every year. On my train ride to MI for break I wrote down things Id like to accomplish in 2011. I always have some pretty big ideas and often suprise myself. Im looking to write more songs, promote my cd, excersize daily (which I am doing!) etc etc. However a big goal of mine this year that takes time is to focus on relationships. To develop a better, positive, healthy, relationship with God, family and other people in my "personal community". I also want to improve the ones I have and make new ones that are life long, edifying and real. Think about this :

How many real friends and solid healthy relationships do you have in your life?
Or do you even have a good set of friends and relationships with others?
Are they people you can talk to, depend on, learn from, hold you accountable and have fun with?

Anyone who knows me knows that I am driven by relationships. Thats one of the reasons why I like things like Facebook where I can keep in touch and try to develop and build relationships that are a key part of my life. Anyone I include on Facebook I know and have had some kind of relationship with somewhere in my life. (I sometimes go through my friends on FB and reminesce the adventures, drop someone a line to check in or even use it as a prayer list. )

One things I've noticed about me tho is that over the years I have let many good relationships slide as time, life and my own personal agenda have gotten in the way. Anyone know the feeling? We're all probably very guilty of that. Ive also noticed more recently actually who my good, close and real friends are from those who are more really just "aquaintances" that I had at one time thought were a bigger part of my life. And sadly enough yes sometimes they are even Christians. Don't get me wrong I'll be the first to admit I've messed up in that department too. Even as a Christian. But I at least know I can do my part and know what it takes. That's my personal goal this year, to improve my relationships and build up a group of people I can have healthy friendships with and surround myself with them. At church, at work and every part of my life. Thats what we all need.

Remember the old saying.... "No Man is An Island"? Even if you may think you are or prefer it that way..... you cant live like that forever. Good luck with that. It just doenst work. Its not the way we were created. I have been that way but have noticed more and more that I need people in my life that are also relational driven and dependable but also that can help me be a better me. My goal in return, to do the same.

So there it is. A Relationship Resolution. I think its a good thing to share as we all need to make this a goal. Try it. Focus on a better relationship with God, those in your family and others in your own personal world. Im sure it will bless your life more than you know. After all, it's really one of the main reasons we are even here in the first place!

No comments:

Big News about Our YouTube channel! 

Oliver and Fam