6/24/2012

Memorable Moments Knowing Merl Judy


     I was very upset to hear of my friend Merl's passing away this last week. I was out of the loop and didnt know about the whole situation until the last few days and very sad.  I personally heard from my parents about his death  and last day with us here. I also read some comments on his Facebook site as the reality hit that he had passed and services were Saturday.

     I was just reminisching today as I remembered being in high school and my first time getting to know Merl. He was attending a CIY conference with our youth group in Adrian Michigan. Believe it or not I was being a rebel that year and was giving every youth leader including Merl a run for their money. (which I paid for later when I returned home that week). For some reason I still have this picture in my head of a day there on campus when I, another youth groupee and I believe my brother were trying to climb into our dorm window which was on the second floor, with a rope. (just one of the many stupid and crazy events that  I was involved in that week) My brother was half way up and I was coming behind when all I remember is out of the blue, Merl popping his head out of the window and with hands gripped on the window sill and a look of  I mean business written all over his face saying two words......

 "GET DOWN!"

My brother part way up fell and landed on a bush and was hanging there as a branch hung him by his shirt and I let go of the rope and in fear, took off running along with whoever else was with us. Im sure there were many other episodes like this that year but this is the one I clearly remember.

Not too long later I do remember getting to know him better on a more personal, civil level. I not only respected him as our youth leader but also started doing his lawn over the summer. I'd show up weekly. We'd have a chat. Id mow his very hilly yard and have a glass of lemonade and talk some more. This was just the beginning of our simple relationship. I later went on to college, moved away, came back to BCC every so often and would see him there and catch up on life and everything going on.  He was always committed to doing something around the church, praying for me and helping how he could, serving, greeting, finances, youth, you name it. Of the many people Id always try to see while visiting he was definitely one of them. Often the first one as hed be there greeting at the door.

Its obvious he had a heart for people, a passion for God and was dedicated to his family and church. Many are greatful for all the awesome things he was and did. I will miss seeing him at BCC when I get back there but he's just another example of a person with a positive Godly influence on many who were ever around him. Including myself.

No comments:

Big News about Our YouTube channel! 

Oliver and Fam